FOR-69: Field Guide to Best Management Practices for Timber Harvesting in Kentucky
BMP No. 4: Sinkholes
The purpose of this BMP is to minimize nonpoint source pollutants from flowing into sinkholes.
Figure 4-1–Flow of Waters through a Sinkhole
Soil, Logging Debris, Fluids, and/or Other Waste Materials
Fluids from equipment should not be drained onto the ground. They should be collected in a container, transported off site, and recycled or disposed of properly. Soil, logging debris, and/or other waste materials should not be pushed into the bottom of a sinkhole or into any noticeable sinkhole opening.
Sinkhole Buffer Zones
- Divert runoff from haul/access roads, skid trails, and log landings so it does not drain directly into sinkholes, sinking streams, or caves. If runoff does enter a sinkhole, a UIC permit (see Modified Sinkholes in Appendix A, contact Division of Water 502-564-3410) may be required.
- Leave a buffer zone between any disturbed area and the open swallet of a sinkhole. Buffer zones should be 30 feet for areas of 5 percent slope, and an additional 10 feet in width should be added to this zone for each 10 percent increase in slope.
Regulatory Requirements for BMP No. 4
(See Appendix A for Explanations)
- Activities around sinkholes, cave entrances, etc.: (KRS 433.870-433.875)
- Endangered species in caves: (Federal Register 55:6184 and 56:58804-58836)
- Modified sinkholes: (May need to be registered and/or permitted)
- Cave streams and other underground surface waters: (may deal with KY Surface Water Statutes and/or Outstanding Resource Waters)
- All silvicultural operations: (410 KAR 5:026, 5:029, 5:030, and 5:031)
- Activities near high-quality waters and outstanding national resource waters: (401 KAR 5:029, 5:030, and 5:031)
- Activities near wild rivers: (KRS 146.200 et seq. and 401 KAR 4:100-140)
- Karst groundwater basin protection
Note: This table corresponds to the recommended minimum distances for roads, trails, and landings from intermittent streams.
|Table 4-1--Minimum Distances from Silviculturally Disturbed Areas and the Point of Lowest Elevation or Open Swallet of a Sinkhole|
|Slope of Land (%)
|40 or higher
Figure 4-2–Specifications for Sinkhole BMP
Equal opportunity statement