The University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension HEEL Program is pleased to offer the Educate Before You Medicate Program. This program has been developed to address the educational needs of Kentucky Cooperative Extension clientele in an effort to provide information on medication use and safety. Through the use of the Educate Before You Medicate program materials, Extension agents will be able to provide programming that will educate their clientele on:
- the importance of medication compliance
- using the Educate Before You Medicate medication record
- speaking to health professionals confidently
- asking health care providers appropriate questions when receiving new prescriptions
- the importance of supplying all health care providers, including doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists, a complete medical history with all prescription medications, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements being taken at the time of the visit
- possible drug interactions when combining medications
- possible ways to save money on prescription medicines
- who to contact for more information on the Medicare-Approved Drug Discount cards
- how to navigate the Medicare web site to research Medicare-Approved Drug Discount cards
In addition, Extension agents will have the necessary tools to plan and implement an Educate Before You Medicate Brown Bag Event by partnering with local health care professionals and community agencies in an effort to expand the Cooperative Extension audience in their county.
- To Order "Educate Before You Medicate" Medication Records, Extension Agents please contact: HEEL Staff Assistant - (859) 257-8900
- Other Resources
The University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension HEEL Program would like to give special thanks to all partners involved in the development, review, and piloting of the Educate Before You Medicate program including: Matthew McMahan, Pharm.D, Clinical Pharmacist with the University of Kentucky Pharmacy REACH Program; Margaret Nowak-Rapp, Pharm.D, University of Kentucky Pharmacy REACH Program; Ann Amerson, Pharm.D, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy; William Lubawy, PhD, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy; Kristi Lopez, University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy; Staff Pharmacists, Kentucky Clinic Pharmacy; Northern Kentucky Cooperative Extension Homemakers; Peggy Powell, FCS Agent, Montgomery County; Betty Overly, FCS Agent, Bourbon County; Grace Angotti, FCS Agent, Carroll County; University of Kentucky College of Pharmacy students; National Council on Patient Information and Education (NCPIE); and Dr. Bonnie Tanner, Assistant Director for Family and Consumer Sciences at the University of Kentucky for her leadership and guidance in the development and implementation of Educate Before You Medicate.
The development of the HEEL program was made possible by Senator Mitch McConnell with funds earmarked for the University of Kentucky, College of Agriculture, Lexington, KY and budgeted through the CSREES/USDA Federal Administration